Los Angeles Diversity Dining
Online ticket sales for this event have ended. If you're still interested in attending, please contact Sklar Toy at email@example.com
5:00 p.m. - Arrival/Cash Bar (Wines by the glass and Ethiopian beer are available for purchase)
5:30 p.m. - Seating Begins
5:45 p.m. - Introductions
5:55 p.m. - Dinner Service Begins
Meals by Genet
1053 S. Fairfax Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90019
$35 (includes dinner, after dinner tea, dessert, tax and gratuity plus a 1-year membership to HRC)
Our next Diversity Dining Event coincides with Ethiopian New Year ("Enkutatash"), which generally occurs every year on September 11th or 12th. Chef/Owner Genet Agonafer has been serving her amazing Ethiopian stews and vegetable accompaniments in Little Ethiopia since 2004. Her stews that combine a long list of spices and requires two days to prepare have been highly rated by food critics and the community. So, let's celebrate Ethiopian New Year with Agonafer, who has been a long time straight ally of the LGBT community and has made many contributions to LGBT organizations over the years.
Traditional Ethiopian meals are served Family Style, and are eaten with your hands (utensils will be provided upon request). Dinner will include a choice of entree (beef, lamb, or tofu), an order of 10 different vegetable side dishes, and injera (Ethiopian flatbread made from teff), plus after dinner hot Ethiopian tea and a dessert.
On the date of this event, Little Ethiopia will close Fairfax Avenue between Olympic Boulevard and Whitworth Avenue between Noon and about 5:00 pm in order to hold its annual New Year cultural festival featuring native dancers performing traditional Ethiopian dances. Spend some time to enjoy the festival before heading over to Meals by Genet at 5:00 pm for an amazing night of food and wine.
Entree (Choice of One):
- Yebere Siga Tibs -- beef sauteed in onions, green chiles and Ethiopian butter
- Chicken Tibs chicken sauteed in onions, green chiles and Ethiopian butter
- Tofu Tibs tofu sauteed in onions, green chiles and Ethiopian butter
Accompanying Side Dishes (Includes All):
- Ethiopian Salad
- Alitcha Kik -- yellow split peas
- Shiro -- orange split peas
- Mesir -- red lentils
- Shimbira Asa -- sauteed garbanzo beans
- Atkilt -- sauteed potatoes, green beans, carrot and onions
- Gomen -- collard greens
- Tikil Gomen -- cabbage and carrot
- Timatim Fifit -- tomatoes, jalapeno, red onions, olive oil and lemon juice
- Souf Fifit -- pureed sunflowers with jalapeno, onion, olive oil and lemon juice
- Azifa -- green lentils with Ethiopian mustard
Beverages are available for purchase separately.
Limited parking is available in the lot directly behind the restaurant and is accessible from the alley (entrances to the alley are at Olympic Blvd., from the north, and Whitworth Ave., from the south). Street parking is also available. Be sure to check the street signs for any parking restrictions.
For questions, email Sklar K. Toy, Diversity Committee Co-Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.